skip to content

Student Wellbeing


JCR/MCR Welfare Officers are student representatives who are elected by a College’s student body to their posts for a year at a time. They form part of the wider pool of Common Room Officers within Colleges and there may be other Officers who also have a welfare-related role at your College (such as an LGBT+ Officer or Women’s Officer, for example). 

Student representatives within Colleges form part of the wider arrangements for student representation at Collegiate Cambridge, particularly the Cambridge SU Sabbatical Officers. There are also student representation arrangements within Schools, Faculties and Departments. 

JCR and MCR Welfare Officers have a political role within College which involves student representation on College Committees and campaigning for changes or improvements to facilities and welfare provision, as well as some less political elements to their role such as supporting and signposting students with particular welfare needs.

They will seek to identify policies and institutional issues within your College that affect the student body and work to change or improve these and will also organize various different events and activities, distribute free sexual health supplies and make available welfare resources to signpost students to appropriate services.

In supporting students, Welfare Officers will make local access arrangements which might include offering drop in sessions, giving out a welfare phone number, or regular tea and talk events. 

Whilst College Welfare Officers will receive some training, it is important to remember that they are not Tutors, Advisors, counsellors or medical practitioners and their primary role in supporting students is to be a listening ear and to help provide signposting and information, rather than giving specialist advice and guidance.

Most Colleges will have a JCR and/or MCR intranet site where you can find out who your College Common Room Officers are and where to find them. Some Welfare Officers will publicize their confidentiality arrangements or you can ask what these are if you are concerned.

See also Cambridge Peer to Peer