skip to content

Student Wellbeing


There is no longer a Dental Practice affiliated with the University but all students should be able to access good-quality NHS dental services in the local area. We recommend all students register with a dentist in Cambridge in case dental care is required.

You can find an NHS dental practice in Cambridge by using the NHS service search. Please note that most dentists provide both NHS and private dental treatment so if you want to access NHS dental services rather than pay for it privately (it will cost a lot more), make sure you use the search to find dental practices which are currently accepting adult NHS patients and make it clear when you register that you wish to join as an NHS not a private patient.

Unlike medical care, dental care is one of the few NHS services where everyone is required to pay a contribution towards the cost of care. However, there is a big difference between NHS dental charges and accessing dental care as a private patient. Find out more about NHS dental charges here.

Find out what to expect when visiting the dentist here

Get hints and tips if you have a fear of going to the dentist here.

Urgent care

If you need dental treatment in an emergency

  • call your dentist: some practices offer appointments at short notice
  • if you don't have a dentist, find one by calling NHS 111
  • look up urgent care services that provide dental treatment

If you need to see a dentist out of hours:

  • call your dentist: their answerphone may advise where to get out-of-hours treatment
  • call NHS 111 to find an out-of-hours dental service near you

Don't contact your GP, as they won't be able to offer emergency or out-of-hours dental care. If you're in pain while waiting to see a dentist, take painkillers like paracetamol if you are able to. NHS 111 can also offer other self-care advice. 

Only visit A&E in serious circumstances, such as severe pain, heavy bleeding, injuries to the face, mouth or teeth. If you're not sure whether you should go to A&E, call NHS 111, who will be able to advise you.