skip to content

Student Wellbeing


Health and Safety

The Health and Safety Division's website contains information on whom to contact with regard to health and safety and on the hazards and risks commonly encountered in the University.  This can include safety when conducting fieldwork, cycle and road safety, risk assessments and prevention guidance.

Heads of Department are responsible for safety within their Departments. In discharging this responsibility they must ensure, among other things, the safety of students within the Department and that teaching and research are conducted safely and with due respect for the environment. Heads of Department and others who have responsibility for the safety of students are entitled to rely on the level of knowledge and experience to be expected from you at your particular stage of development. The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 places a duty on all persons (including students) not intentionally or recklessly to interfere with or misuse anything provided to ensure health, safety or welfare, and environmental legislation places a duty on students not to cause pollution.

Information and advice are available on the Health and Safety website or from

For some courses, students may be required to undergo health screening from the University's Occupational Health Service. You will be advised by your College if this is a requirement of your course. Graduates students may also seek advice from the Occupational Health Service on health matters arising from work activities.

The University does not provide personal accident insurance for students. Records of those facing specific risks, in laboratories for example, are maintained by the University. You are advised to consult your Tutor about making your own arrangements for adequate insurance against risks of accident and illness if you wish to have greater protection than is afforded by the statutory benefits to which you may be entitled.


The University has, over recent years, adopted procedures for improving the security of its sites and buildings. This includes the installation of intruder alarm systems, closed circuit television and access control systems on many major University sites. A University Security Control Centre monitors these systems and also provides a 24-hour uniformed security patrol service, who can respond quickly to any security or emergency related matter that occurs on University property. It is the responsibility of every individual in the University to exercise vigilance in relation to security. You are urged to be mindful of the security of equipment used within the University Faculties and Departments, as well as that of your own personal belongings.

Anything of a suspicious nature should be brought to the attention of the University Security Control Centre, Tel: 01223 331818 for routine matters. In the case of an emergency please telephone 01223 767444.