skip to content

Whilst Cambridge is generally regarded as a safe city, it is possible at some point whilst you are studying that you may be a victim of crime.

In an emergency where there is ongoing risk to yourself or others, always call 999 for police support and an ambulance, if necessary.

To report less urgent crime or disorder, you can contact the police by dialling 101. Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, the telephone system will identify where you are calling from and connect you with the local police. You can only report a crime on behalf of a victim when the victim has given you their explicit consent to do so. You can also report a crime in person at Parkside Police Station, Parkside, Cambridge CB1 1JG from 8:00am – 10:00pm.

When reporting a crime, you can be accompanied by a friend, partner, Tutor, Student Union Sabbatical Officer, an Advisor from the Student Advice Service or a representative from Victim Support.

It is possible to report a crime sometime after the incident has occurred so don’t be put off reporting at a later date, even if you didn’t approach the police straight away.

As a victim of a crime, you may benefit from support from your College and it is therefore recommended that you speak to your Tutor during the day or the College Porters’ Lodge if out of hours, to report the issue and seek College support.  The College may also need to put in place other measures, for yourself or for the wider student-body’s safety, depending on the nature of the crime.

The Students’ Unions’ Advice Service can also provide independent advice and support to a student who has been a victim of a crime:

Other sources of support:​

See also Personal safety and travel and harassment and sexual misconduct