skip to content

University is sometimes seen as a time of experimentation and risk taking for young people and it is possible that you will come into contact with recreational drug use whilst you are studying and you may even choose to experiment in using drugs yourself. Whilst the only safe way to use recreational drugs is not to use them at all, if you do decide to do drugs it is important that you do so in as an informed a way as possible. See Avoid recreational and 'smart' drugs.  

If you are worried about your drug use, take a self-assessment to help you decide if you need support

You can seek help in a number of different ways, including speaking to your GP, making a self-referral to the UCS or visiting their page with links to resources, speaking to your College Nurse or approaching your Tutor.

Other sources of support can be found here:



Talk to Frank

Narcotics Anonymous

Smart! self assessment

In an emergency: drug overdose

If you know that someone has taken a drug (legal or illegal) overdose and you are worried for their safety, do not delay in getting help. If they are in College accommodation, contact the Porters’ Lodge immediately. If they are not in College, dial 999 to request an ambulance.